Operation Independence is an awareness campaign to help Veterans understand and utilize their vehicle mobility benefits such as the auto allowance grant and the automobile adaptive equipment program. These benefits along with the assistance of a VMI Select Dealer can help a Veteran select and purchase a wheelchair accessible vehicle that best fits their needs.
VMI is a premier manufacturer of wheelchair accessible vans. VMI Select Dealers are experts in mobility assessment and customization. Together we have combined our knowledge with the Paralyzed Veterans of America to increase awareness with disabled Veterans regarding VA vehicle benefits, and help them get the benefits they have earned while serving our country.
Operation Independence helps Veterans get into their first wheelchair accessible van. VMI and their Select Dealer Network will give Veterans a $1000 rebate towards the van to be converted for wheelchair accessibility.
Watch Operation Independence Video:
Veteran Vehicle Mobility Benefits
- The Auto Allowance Grant: This program provides eligible Veterans with a federal grant of $19,505 towards the purchase of a wheelchair accessible vehicle. This grant is paid to the seller of the vehicle and must be approved by the VA before the purchase.
- The Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program: This program provides eligible Veterans equipment and training to enter, exit and/or operate a motor vehicle. This equipment includes but not limited to platform wheelchair lifts, kneeling systems, power door openers, lowered floors/raised roofs, raised doors, hand controls and braking and digital driving systems.
- Non Service Connected Van Modifications: This program provides eligible Veterans with non-operational equipment for entry and exit to the van. Issuance of equipment is considered medical and is not included as part of the Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program.
VMI Select Dealer Nework
- R & J Mobility Service is your local mobility expert!
- Trust – the VMI Select Dealer Network has over 25 years of experience helping you select the best wheelchair van that fits your specific needs.
- Convenience – There is a VMI Select Dealer in your neighborhood and community to provide personalized sales and service.
- Certified mobility consultants – Experienced with mobility needs assessments as well as with the VA funding process.
- Inventory – Local selection of wheelchair accessible vans are on hand for demonstration, fit, assessment and delivery.
Quotes from Veterans who have worked with the VMI Select Dealer Network and Operation Independence:
“Very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. A perfect business experience” Sheila from Washington
“The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. You have a great program and I recommend your company highly.” Pablo from New Mexico
Start the process & contact us today!
download – printable brochure